Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Scripture

Luke 8:20 And it was told Him by some, who said, "Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see You."

Observation

And
  • along or together with; as well as 
  • added to
  • then
it
  • used to represent an inanimate thing
  • used to represent noun, previously mentioned or about to be mentioned
  • used to represent a concept or abstract idea

was (past tense of "be")
  • existed; lived
  • happened
told (past tense of tell)
  • gave account or narrative
  • made known by speech
  • announced or proclaimed
  • uttered
  • expressed in words
Him
  • Jesus
by
  • near to; next to
  • within the extent or period of 
  • according to
  • from the opinion, evidence, or authority of
some
  • being an undetermined or unspecified one
  • certain when used with plural nouns
  • certain unspecified number, amount, or degree
who
  • the "some" referenced above, my guess more than one person or it would have said "someone," rather than some...
said (simple past tense of say)
  • expressed
  • stated
  • reported
Your
  • Jesus
mother
  • female parent (Jesus' female parent)
and
  • additionally
brothers
  • male siblings
are (plural of "be")
  • exist
  • to take place
  • continue or remain as before
  • to belong; attend; befall
standing
  • rank/status especially with respect to social, economic, personal position
  • good position
  • the act of a person who stands (this one :) )
outside
  • the outer side, surface, or part; exterior
  • external aspect
  • the space beyond the enclosure, institution, boundary
  • a position away or father away from the inside or center
desiring
  • to wish or long for; crave; want
  • to express a wish to obtain; ask for; request
to
  • used to express motion
  • used to express point in time

see
  • perceive with eyes
  • to view; visit or attend as a spectator
  • to perceive mentally; discern; understand
  • construct a mental image of
  • to meet and converse with 
  • to receive a visitor
  • to visit
You.
  •  Jesus
When they (the "some") noticed His family was there to see Him, they told Him.  His family came, but stood outside.  (In Mark 3 it is mentioned why His family had come.)  What we see here in Luke is that they were on the outside.  They did not make their way through the crowd to Him.

Application
 "Some" spoke to Him.  They felt free to do so.  His family, for some reason, were not able to make it through the crowd.  I wonder, maybe I would stand outside thinking, why should I fight the crowd to get to Him?  He's my Son/Brother, He should come to us.  He can see the crowd, they'll move out of the way for Him...

I can't harshly judge His family, I can't say with certainty that I would have made my way through the crowd in that circumstance, to be honest...

But, we do see some people did talk to Him freely.

I, too, can talk to Him freely.

Prayer
Jesus, forgive me for when I walk the perimeter, around the edges, on the outskirts instead of making my way to You.  Sometimes I seek advice from people who don't know all the details of a situation instead of going to You.  Sometimes I don't forge ahead to meet You because my pride tells me not to embarrass myself. Thank You for forgiveness, for grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment