Tuesday, September 16, 2014



2 Peter 1

12 For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth.  13 Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

The above is how I did my SOAP for yesterday's chapter reading. I tend to be somewhat of a rule-follower, so I almost didn't do it this way, even though the notes are mine and for me to read. But then, I realized, sitting there arguing with that little finger-pointer for half an hour (yes! I know! that's way too long to argue with one's self) and all that this worrying about the order in which I was noting Scripture was keeping me from learning!! So, yes, I changed the order, here's why: I read "for this reason" and wondered, hm…what's Peter talking about again? It was important and he didn't want to be negligent to remind you "of these things." What were these things? So, I looked back and found the other verses. So, in the moment that's how I came to write it in that order, just to keep it straight in my mind! Ha.

Onto the Scripture now.

Oh, wait, before we go there. I see both sets of verses I chose say "for this reason" and, you know, "also for this reason" … what is he talking about? One thing is "escaping the corruption," which is found in verse 4.  I won't go over everything, I'm not really teaching you, just sharing a few things I noticed.

Now, onto the Scripture, for real this time…


5 But also for this very reason,
giving all diligence, [careful and persistent work or effort]

add to your faith [complete trust or confidence in] virtue [behavior showing high moral standards]

to virtue [behavior showing high moral standards] knowledge [facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject/awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation],

6 to knowledge [facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject/awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation] self-control [the ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, especially in difficult situations],

to self control [the ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, especially in difficult situations] perseverance [steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success],

to perseverance [steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success] godliness [conforming to the laws and wishes of God; devout; pious],

to godliness [conforming to the laws and wishes of God; devout; pious] brotherly [showing affection and concern; affectionate] kindness [the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate] love [1 Corinthians 13:4-7New King James Version (NKJV) 4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.].

12 For this reason I will not be negligent [failing to take proper care in doing something] to remind [cause (someone) to remember someone or something] you always of these things,

though you know and are established in the present truth.

13 Yes,

I think it is right,


as long as I am in this tent [body],

to stir you up [arouse, awaken] by reminding you,



No comments:

Post a Comment