Monday, July 14, 2014

Scripture
But as they sailed He fell asleep.  And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in jeopardy.               
- Luke 8:23

Observation
But
  • on the contrary; yet
  • except; save
  • unless; if not; except that
as
  • to the same degree, amount, or extent; similarly; equally
  • for example; for instance
  • *at the same time that; while; when
they - the disciples with Him in the boat

sailed
  • voyaged
  • move along or travel over water
  • managed a sailboat
  • journeyed by water
He - Jesus

fell
  • passed into a physical, mental, or emotional condition
  • came by chance
asleep. 
  • state of sleep
  • into a dormant or inactive state; to rest
And - then

a - certain, particular

windstorm - a storm with heavy wind, but little or no precipitation

came - approached

down
  • from higher to lower
  • to the ground, floor, or bottom
  • to the point of defeat, submission, inactivity, etc.
  • into condition of ill health
on

the - specific

lake, - a body of fresh or salt water of considerable size, surrounded by land

and - the next thing

they - the disciples

were - past test of are

filling
  • to make full; put as much as can be held into
  • occupy to full capacity
  • to supply an extreme degree or plentifully
with

water, - from the crashing waves of stormy lake

and

were

in

jeopardy.   
  • hazard or risk of expsoure to loss, harm, death, or injury
  • peril or danger
He fell asleep.  He must have needed it because it says He "fell asleep" He didn't "go" to sleep, what we do at "bedtime."  This was most likely an exhausted "My body needs rest" kind of sleep.

Jeopardy is no cheap word.  It is serious.  These guys were in trouble.  There were fisherman on board who were no strangers to being on the lake and have probably had some experience with storms while out on a boat.  Jeopardy is serious.

A boat filling with water, yes, that would be something serious.  Yet...Jesus is sleeping.  Does this speak to His exhaustion or ease of mind?  He is sleeping on a boat that is filling with water, not from a leak but from crashing waves and screaming wind.  Hysterical men on board.  He sleeps.

He had said to them,  "Let us cross over to the other side of the lake." They launched out. They sailed and He fell asleep.

Application
Jesus said to do this.  They did this.  A storm came.

So, just because Jesus says "do this" does not mean it will happen without a storm.  Wow.  That just hit me.  How many times have I heard people say, "If God really called you to do this, then He would open the way?" Or, "If God calls you to it, He will equip you and everything will be smooth sailing."  I guess that second one is brought to light with this very verse, isn't it?  That brings me full circle in my thinking...who do I listen to? 

What people say with these two examples makes perfect sense to me. 

However, if Jesus is Who He says He is and Who I believe Him to be, then He knew the storm was coming.   He knew all along.  He knew before they got on the boat.  He knew and yet said, "Let us cross over to the other side of the lake."

I see that there might be times God wants me to do something even when He knows a storm will come. 

Prayer
Oh, Jesus.  I say I want to listen to You, but when other people say things I listen to them.  By listen, I don't actually mean give ear to, I perceive what they are saying, I mean I am obedient to them or follow their advice.  Not because I trust them more, but because my pride doesn't want to give them anything to say about how I don't follow good solid advice.  Or my pride doesn't want me to be embarrassed because I said I think God wants me to do this and then a storm will come and what will they say then?  So it isn't really even about them, it is about me.  My pride.  What might they think of me?  Ugh.  That is my pride.  I "know" pride comes before a fall, yet there are times, too numerous to count, that I have believed You asked me to do or say something, but instead I followed my pride.  Jesus, help me.  I need Your Holy Spirit to remind me this is what I want, to follow Your lead.  I need Your Holy Spirit to convict me so that I will stop bowing to pride.  I ask for Your forgiveness.  I pray in Your name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment